Built on the site of the house of Gil Cordero, the shepherd who found the image of the Virgin of Guadalupe,built in the seventeenth century, very simple with a Baroque altarpiece which a replica of the original virgin.
It is located outside the Monumental city, in the Plaza de las Claras. It is a simple chapel, with sober exterior and rectangular, built on the site of a former hospital in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. In the cover, a sculpture of the Virgen de la Soledad. Inside you can see a Baroque altarpiece, chaired by a seventeenth-century image of the Virgin that gives name to the chapel. We found her appointments on documents from the fifteenth century, in 1470 was home to a brotherhood that has endured to this day and is one of the oldest in the city, Real and Illustrious Brotherhood of Soledad and the Santo Entierro.
Founded in 1614, is inhabited since by a community of Clarisa´s nuns of the Order of San Francisco, are famous for elaborate sweets that can be purchased in the same convent. Stresses in the building a seventeenth century Mannerist façade which features an image of St. Francis.
The Sanctuary is on the Sierra de la Mosca, at some 600 m of altitude and with magnificent views over the city. It was built in the 18th century and dedicated to the Virgin de la Montaña, the patron saint of the city since 1906. Inside it is decorated in the Baroque style and has a single nave with side chapels in which there are images of Santa Ana and Cristo de la Salud, by Juan Salvador Carmona.The main altarpiece is churrigueresque style and holds the image of the Virgin de la Montaña, dated to the 17th century. Schedule: 9.00 a 13.00 h. y 16:00 a 20:00 h. Recommendations: The festival of the Virgin de la Montaña is celebrated on the first Sunday in May.
This building was dedicated to nursing in the 17th century; run by Franciscan monks. You can see three shields on its facade, that of the city of Caceres, with a lion and a castle in the opposite order to normal, that of the Order of San Franciso and that of Felipe V. Recommendations: In this cloistered convent of the Order de las Jerónimas you can buy delicious sweets made by the nuns
This joint church and college was built by the Company of Jesus in the 18th century. It is Baroque style and occupies a large area in the centre of the Monumental Area.The church’s facade has a semi-circular arch and a niche that shelters the image of San Francisco Javier and is flanked by two square towers that finish in pyramids.Inside is a single nave, with side chapels and a cupola over a stone cross. The main altarpiece has Corinthian columns framing a canvas that represents the ‘Miracle of the Crab’. Recommendations: This is in the Plaza de San Jorge, between the oldest squares of Santa María and San Mateo. The square takes its name from the sculpture of Saint George, the city’s Patron Saint, which presides over the square from a niche.
This elegant palace is on one side of the Plaza of Santa María. It was ordered rebuilt by the Bishop Pedro García de Galarza, at the end of the 16th century, whose shield can be seen over the central window of the second floor. It has an elegant facade with semi-circular arches with a double masonry bolster, flanked by two medallions that represent a man and a woman American Indian. This palace has two more facades, one from the former Seminary of San Pedro, founded in the 17th century by the same Bishop Galarza and moved here after its demolition; and the other on the street Arco de la Estrella. The location of this beautiful building, the back of which faces onto the city walls and the New Gate, was the cause of legal disputes with the Marqués de la Quinta de la Enjarada to open and remodel the Arco de la Estrella, so his carriages could pass through.
Beaterio (convent for lay sisters) founded in the 15th century, with the actual convent being built later. The church’s facade is in the Gothic style. Nuns of the Order of Saint Clare live in the convent. Other inhabited convents are that of Santa Clara, in the square of the same name, and the Convent de las Jerónimas, in the old Infirmary of San Antonio, in Olmo Street. Recommendations: In this convent of cloistered nuns you can buy hand-made sweets of huge renown.
It is outside the walled area, in the area of Caleros.Outside it has Gothic facades, which have archivolts and are framed by alfiz.Inside it has a single nave covered with ribbed vaults and with a large choir stall at its foot. It has a magnificent main altarpiece, for which the master Alonso de Berruguete was commissioned in 1557. He was one of the main Spanish mannerist sculptors, based in Valladolid. It was finished by his workshop and permanently installed in 1570.The images of Nuestra Señora de la Esclarecida, from the 15th century; Cristo de los Milagros or de las Indulgencias, also from the 15th century; and Jesús Nazareno, carved in Seville in by Tomás de la Huerta, are also interesting. Schedule:Laborable, Saturdays and Vespers at 20.30 (summer)
The church, built in the 16th century, possibly over the site of an old mosque, took a long time, almost three hundred years, to build. It has an outstanding facade, with plateresque decoration.Inside, the main altarpiece is pine-coloured and was made by Vicente Barbadillo in 1766. The Chapel de los Sande, now the sacristy, is Gothic inside, with a beautiful ribbed star vault. There are the tombs of the city’s noble families in the walls: Ovando, Golfines, Paredes, Saavedra, etc. Schedule: From 6:30 p.m. on weekdays Sundays and public holidays there will be Mass at 12:00 and 20:00 p.m. Recommendations: It is in the square of the same name. It appears to have been the weapons square in the Muslim city. In the Middle Ages and the beginning of the Modern Age it was one of the locations within the walls around which the palaces and fortified houses of the most important noble families were built.
The livestock fairs took place in this square, near to the church. The farmers and shepherds settled here, outside the walled area.The Church of San Juan is one of the most densely populated parishes of the city. It was once called San Juan de los Ovejeros (shepherds), as the nomadic farmers who visited the city stayed in this area.The church is from the 13th century, but underwent huge alterations in the 14th, 15th and 17th centuries. In the 1960s the church was remodelled to return it to its original style, removing the altarpiece and later decorations.There are a variety of interesting chapels, including the Chapel de las Reliquias, which has a plateresque facade with cherubs and balustered columns at the sides. The grilles are from the 16th century. Schedule: Cult: 10.30, 11.30, 12.30, 13.30 and 7.30 pm (Winter) Recommendations: This is in a delightful area with restaurants and mesons (traditional inns) where you can try the excellent products of Extremadura’s cuisine.
This old chapel, occasional hospital and now a parish church, is one of the best examples of Mudejar architecture in Caceres. Its oldest constructive elements are from the 14th century, although it has suffered modifications and reconstructions due to its historical misfortunes (it was destroyed by French troops and ‘El Empecinado’, Juan Martín Díez).Outside it has a side portico with an arcade; inside it is composed of naves with brick arches and stone pillars and the head is octagonal; it is covered with a wooden roof.It also has some outstanding sculptures, including the Cristo del Humilladero, which has a huge devotion in the city. Address: Av. Cervantes, 112 Schedule: Sundays and holidays at 11.30 Recommendations: Nearby you can see a granite cross, a cross on a column and plinth with four steps. Stone crosses are placed as a symbol of devotion or to mark the borders at crossroads.
This is the most important church in Cáceres. It was granted the status of co-cathedral in 1957, it shares Coria’s diocese. It was built between the 15th and 16th centuries over an earlier building. It has Gothic facades and on the Gospel side there is a pillar with a corbel supporting the Virgin. The tower has three sections; the central one has a medallion with a vase of Madonna lilies, the symbol of the Virgin.Inside it is a rectangular building with three naves, pointed arches and ribbed vaults. The main altarpiece, from the 16th century, is made of cedar and pine wood, without polychrome, and it is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin. It was made by Roque Balduque and Guillen Ferrant. Highligts the Chapels de los Carvajal,the Baroque altarpiece with Saint Michael the Archangel is really nice, and the chapel of the Cristo Negro, an image from the 15th century that is the star of one of the most important processions of our Holy Week. In the corner, the sculpture of San Pedro de Alcantara, by Enrique Pérez Comendador from Extremadura, it is reputed to give you good luck if you touch its toes that is why they are shiny. The Council meets at medieval […]
It belongs to the Franciscan Order. The church was built in the 16th century. The church’s facade is semi-circular and there is a niche over it with an image of the Virgin de la Inmaculada.Inside the floor is in the form of the Latin Cross, with chapels between buttresses and an octagonal presbytery. The main altarpiece, dated back to the 17th century, is presided over by a polychrome image of Santo Domingo, from the middle of the 18th century. Schedule: Domingos y festivos a las 11.30. 12.30 y 19.30 horas (invierno) Domingos y festivos a las 11.30. 12.30 y 20.30 horas (verano)
This has had various usages throughout its history: the residence of famous figures, seat of the College of Scholastic Theology and a notable library, barracks and stables in the time of war, provincial hospital, house of mercy, refuge for poor travellers and college-residence for orphans of the province. Since 1981 the San Francisco Cultural Complex – El Brocense Cultural Institution has been established in it, on which depends the Eulogio Blasco School of Fine Arts, a dance school, a music conservatory, etc.A lot of the time it is now used for conferences and exhibitions, in its large church-auditorium, four large rooms, four cloisters and other areas, where concerts, theatrical representations, etc. are also held.
The conquests were strengthened by the control of language and religion. In Caceres, the Chapel of San Antonio was built on the spot that was occupied by a synagogue and that of San Mateo on the site of a mosque.Built in the 15th century on the initiative of the Golfín family on the site where the Synagogue of the Old Jewish Quarter stood. It is a small chapel with a single nave and an altarpiece in the apse where the images of San Antonio de Padua, Saint John the Baptist and the Holy Family are worshipped. Saint Michael the Archangel is on the highest part.Outside it has the beauty of traditional architecture. Recommendations: The area surrounding this chapel is one of the most picturesque of the Monumental Ensemble.
Originally this was a chapel dedicated to San Benito, rebuilt in the18th century in the Baroque style. A portico opens out at the entrance, with three semi-circular arches on masonry pillars and a brick cover. The grille of this portico was made by Juan de Acedo in 1756, and on it there is the monogram IHS with the two-headed eagle of the Austrias. Inside the small church there is a Baroque altarpiece presided over by an image of the Virgin with Baby Jesus in her arms, a work by the sculptor Pedro Correa. Schedule: Open to worship. Mass on Sundays at 8.00. Recommendations: This is in the Plaza Mayor, in the upper arcades, near to the Arch de la Estrella.